Form 1096 is a summary return, which shows the totals from information returns and must be submitted to the IRS along with these returns, such as forms 1099, 1098, 3921, 3922, 5496 and W4-G. Form 1096 includes information specific to the employer as well as information specific to the forms being filed.
The form 1096 must be submitted to the IRS no later than the last business day of February each year, along with the applicable returns which it summarizes.
To Complete Form 1096:
- Enter the name of your business (as the "Filer") and address; a name of a person to contact, and an email address, phone number and fax number.
- Enter your Employer ID Number (Box 1) or Social Security Number (Box 2), if you don't have an EIN.
- In Box 3, enter the total number of forms you are submitting with this 1096.
- In Box 4, enter the total federal income tax withheld on all the forms you are submitting. If you didn't withhold any federal income tax, indicate "0".
- In Box 5, enter the total amount of reported payments on all the forms you are submitting.
- In Box 6, enter an "X" in the box for the type of form you are submitting. For example, if you are submitting 1099-MISC forms, enter an X in the 1099-MISC box.
- Check Box 7 if you will not be required to file Form 1096 in the future.
- Sign and date Form 1096 before mailing to the address noted in the instructions.
You must submit a separate 1096 for every type of return you have given to a recipient.